Saturday, July 14, 2012

How my Tequila was saved by Michael Anthony

How Michael Anthony Saved my Tequila


Alaska Airlines said my carry on was too big and I’d have to check it. This upset me for three reasons:

1- My husband’s carry on is the exact same size and why isn’t his bag being targetted?

In line, like the rest of us
2- Michael Anthony (formerly of Van Halen, currently in Chickenfoot) is checking in beside me and I want to be a fan and snap photos.

3- Michael Anthony is checking in next to me!!!

My husband, forever the diplomat, tells me to calm down, take a few items out of my bag so it’s not so big and then he whispers to me not to be a fan, don’t take any photos. Oh man! That’s exactly what I want to do...take photos. So I sneak off a picture before re-packing my carry on. After this much-to-do-about-nothing, I get selected to have my bag search. Naturally. Following instructions of the screeners (I’m not one to argue with them) they have me stand next to Michael Anthony. Yeap, right next. Appears as if his bass guitar case is being open and search by security. This is better than snapping fan photos while standing in a airport check-in line. Taking advantage of the situation I make small talk.

Playing Cabo Wabo the day before.
“So, what’s your case being searched for?” I inquire.

“Don’t have a clue” Michael Anthony says to me. “How about your bag?”

“They are looking for my Tequila. I’m sure I’ll lose it,” I tell him.

Michael Anthony then turns to the security guard who just pulled the Tequila from my bag. While she exams my Tequila he pleads with her, “let her have her Tequila, it’s the National Drink.” She looks at Michael Anthony, looks at my bottle and places it back in my bag and nods at him. She tells me I’m free to go.

A Prost to Michael at Cabo San Lucus for saving my tequila.
I grab my bag and tell Michael Anthony “thanks man” and I proceed into the Airport lounge at Cabo San Lucas. I forget all about my picture taking. I forget to thank for him the great, week-long concerts with Sammy Hagar. I forget all but the thrill of having my bottle for Mexican Vanilla Flavored Tequila with me. We were going drink the tequila as the traditional after Thanksgiving Dinner drink.

It’s sitting on my TV stand unopened.

And oh, Thanks Michael Anthony for saving my tequila. I forgot to thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment