Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Late Night TV Talk Show Adventure

Distillery Row





The Spirit Taster Blogger

I have to record late-night talk shows. I can’t stay awake that long. A few days later, I’ll watch them. Sometimes. But not always. One guest changed my life, and that was Kevin Pollack. During his seven minute interview with the host promoting his new book, “How I Slept My Way to the Middle” my husband and I roared with laughter. He was just about the funniest comic we’ve heard. Oh sure, you may know him from “A Few Good Men” (you are thinking of Tom Cruise or Jack Nicolson but if you search the memory banks you’ll recall him) or “Usual Suspects” (now you are thinking of one of the Baldwin Brothers; no Kevin the short guy, balding.) However Kevin Pollack is known for being a comic and his keen imitations. At the end of the late night show, the host said he’d be in Portland at the Helium Club in four weeks. No other city was mentioned. It had to be kismet we go see him since we live close to Portland.



After I booked our tickets, I looked on Google Map to get ideas on what we could do before the show. Heck, if we are going to drive to Portland we might as make the day of it. And that is when I saw the distilleries. Many distilleries; so many that area of town is called “Distillery Row.” Perhaps a better name would be “Distillery Lane or Avenue” but I digress.




My husband, helping me with my Spirits

There are five Distilleries within what I’d call an easy walking distance. (Less than half a mile.) The row sells passports in which you can pay one fee ($20) to conduct five samples at each vendor, or it’s a buck a shot. Several Distilleries give tours. I, being the planner than I am called them all to get the skinny and to make sure we could be a participant in a couple of tours.





The first Distillery we sampled at was House of Spirits. The tours on Saturdays are at 1 & 3. However, the distiller was out sick. No tours. Bummer. We did our five samples in a very quaint showroom. At first, we weren’t given full attention by the ladies pouring but I think it had to do with the fact we arrived by bus (and the bus stop is directly in front of the distillery.) Once they ladies realized we were there indeed to taste spirits; and not just in there to warm up from the 30 degree weather; we did. The most unique spirit we tried was Oregon Raki. Raki is the national drink of Turkey, with a strong flavor and even stronger after taste, much like Ozo. Oregon Raki was smooth with light under tones of flavor made with anise flavored brandy. Nice. We bought a bottle. First batch, bottle #10. Coolness.





A mere few blocks away (we walked) was East Side Distillery. I called. Tours every hour, on the top of the hour. We squeezed into the small, unattractive showroom packed with people. The Spirit-tender would describe the spirit and ask for a show of hands who wanted to try it. I raised my hand several time. The most interesting spirit was the Cherry Bourbon. Sweet, very sweet. Almost sugary sweet. They also make a variety of Potato Vodkas. As more people packed into the show room and as it neared the top-of-the-hour, I weaseled my way to the back sitting area to ask where and when the tour starts. The gal told me I was in the right spot. Excellent. Did I have my coupon? Coupon… no one said anything about a coupon over the telephone. She said I had to get it on the internet from KATU Channel two. Needless-to-say, we didn’t get a tour. And we didn’t pay for our spirit tastings either.




Next stop was a block away. New Deal Distillery. I wondered if we were indeed going into the right place since only a sandwich board directed people into an unmarked green door. Bravely, I opened the door and was visually delighted. The door opens into the distillery and off to the one corner is a neatly set up bar, bar stools and spirit tasting. The Spirit-tender was kind and told us our shot glasses are included in the cost. Yea! I like freebies. One spirit was hot as fire called Hot Monkey. I had my Hot Monkey fire-spirit mixed with ¾ pineapple juice. My husband tried his straight and had tears instantly streaming down his face. This is the drink in which you need to make Sunday Morning Bloody Mary’s. If that doesn’t get you up and going; nothing will. We didn’t purchase a bottle of fire, but we did buy the best tasting Coffee Liquor we’d had that day. Yeap, we tried it at the previous two places but this one you could tell the coffee beans were roasted and brewed just right. The spirit-tender told us the distill-master was a former barista. The flavor spoke for itself.





Across the street was the last stop of self-guided tour. After all, one can only have so many shots in one day. The last one was called “Vinn.” This family makes their spirits from rice in crock pots in Wilsonville. All they have in Portland is a showroom and a super interesting story how there family emigrated from China to Vietnam where they were deported from. Michelle & Lee treated us well as we drank their spirits. They even mixed the rice-infused spirits mixed with drinking vinegar. You read that right; drinking vinegar made right in Portland Called Pok Pok. Yeap, it was good. We bought a bottle, of both; Vinegar and Baijui Vodka.







An afternoon of spirits, led us to Cascade Brewing for a beer and we’d hope for dinner. I really wanted to drink something I know well. However, no real menu to speak of…just beer cheese soup and about the best homemade corn bread with honey butter I’ve had. (My lucky day afternoon.)



We stumbled a couple blocks to the Helium club and roared until our stomachs hurt with Kevin Pollack’s stories of the stars and entertainment.




Back on bus #4, 6 stops away from Voodoo Donuts. (The line was only 20 minutes long at midnight Saturday.) Now my day was complete.


Now set your DVR’s and start watching Late Night Talk hosts. You never know where it will lead you.




















2 comments: