Sunday, September 11, 2011

Martini's mixed with a Civil War

Inside our cabin for the weekend

We camped Labor Day weekend at Fort Stevens State Park, Oregon.

No pitching of tents. No labor involved, just camping and a Civil War. And not between rival football teams either but of the historical kind. It seems odd that Oregon would host civil war reenactments. Typically, Oregon is not the first, second or even the tenth state that we think of when attending or being at a Civil War reenactment. Fort Stevens located at the mouth of the might Columbia River and Pacific Ocean is the perfect place for US history.

For 84 years, the Fort was activated during the Civil War and closed at the end of World War II. In fact, the only shots on made on the centennial US during World War II as at this location by a Japan submarine. The US did not return fire because they didn’t want to give away their location. Long before these events, Lewis and Clark wonder these lands as well and made salt. (I think for margaritas?)

Besides the historical significant of this area litter with museums and Historical Marker sign this area offers: 

  • ·         Seven mile street of beach complete with remnants’ of a ship wreck from 1891
  • ·         Mouth of the Columbia river and plenty of wind to make a windsurfer paradise
  • ·         Several miles of bike trails and hiking trails complete
  • ·         A fresh water lake for the kids to swim in with life jackets to borrow for the day, free of charge.
  • ·         Deluxe cabins.


The Deluxe cabins are the best of all.
Relaxing & waiting

My husband and I spent the better half of Saturday riding our bikes on all the trails and then down miles of roads to the river. Needless-to-say, after almost four hours of bike riding I was hungry and thirsty when we made it back to our cabin. I promptly plugged in our little mini-crock pot for dipping and added a variety of swiss and cheddar cheeses to melt. While waiting for the fondue, I mixed Martini’s. I never thought of myself as a Martini drinker. In fact I snickered at a couple last year who claimed the worst part of being in the country of Turkey and on vacation was missing Martini hour. I almost pity them for missing the great landscape and people of Turkey while they pined over lost Martini hour.  Now I sympathize. We polished off an entire bottle of vanilla vodka while our cheese melted.

I wonder if the dresses comes in purple
After the cheese fondue and a beer to wash it down with, we pedal to the Civil War Reenactment.  The cost of attendance is twenty bucks a car load or two dollars a person to pedal in. We pedaled. Drunk. Don’t tell my cop brother-in-law we were drunken bike riding.  Don’t worry too much, I didn’t fall off my bike, didn’t hit any trees, didn’t hit any pedestrians either as we made our down tree lined bicycle paths.

For the reenactment, many people were dressed in period clothing and the participants settled in for the weekend in traditional-looking camp sites. I am sure some of them were selling things.
As for the battle, the Yanks won. It was fun watching the cannons being shot while sitting in the hot summer sun with a spectacular view the Columbia River.

Pedaling back wasn’t any issue as the hot sun drained us and I was anxious to get back to the cabin and open the refrigerator to see what it had to offer. I am sure there was a cold beer with my name on it.


Fort Stevens was by far my favorite Oregon State Park and I have camped at most of them.  I enjoyed the luxuries of my own private bathroom, kitchen, TV and plug ins for Fondue.

Prost.



No comments:

Post a Comment