Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bacon on my Donut Please!


I like them as often as I can get them, even if they make me fat. I’ve talked about them in my weight training class and at work. I’ve dreamt about them. Yes, you guessed it, I’m talking about Maple Bacon Bar Donut at Voodoo Donuts in Portland, Oregon.


My first box of Voodoo Donuts.
I first heard about them when my step daughters were out for a visit. The daughter that lives in San Francisco asked if we could stop by this place called Voodoo Donuts.  I haven’t heard of Voodoo before. She tells me they have a maple bar with bacon on top. Say no more. We found Voodoo.  If the girls didn’t express their desire to buy a donut I wouldn’t of gone in after seeing the building…inside or out. Nothing impressive, if not run down dirty looking. Greasy, a bit gross.

The Orignal Voodoo Shop
This was several years ago (maybe five or six years…I don’t recall.) No lines, only people walking out with pink boxes (good things come in pink boxes.) We bought a dozen and make the 90 minute drive home. In the back seat of the car, the daughters took a bite, one bite out of every donut. My husband and I are sadly unaware to the snacking going on.  I must admit, I was a bit perturbed that a bite was taken out of every donut; however my daughter was excited because she knew she could do the same thing without the fear of consequences. So, due to the mouse nibbles already taken, the entire family stood in the kitchen and pass around the donuts. One bite, pass right. I highly recommend you try this method when you buy your first box of Voodoo donuts. After all, how will you know what you like, or not?

YUM! You know you want one!
My two or three favorite donuts (besides the Maple Bar with Bacon) are: The Dirty Old Bastard (a raised donut with chocolate frosting, crushed Oreo cookies on top with peanut butter drizzle, the Captain Crunch Donut with the same name cereal on top and the Tang donut (a tasty donut with Tang mix on the top. Yum.) My daughter likes the pink donut. Beside the color attraction, she likes the bubblegum frosting with bubblegum on top.

Today Voodoo has become quite the tourist attraction. The line extends around  the block and wait times exceed an hour just for the opportunity to buy a donut, any donut. Voodoo is open 24 hours a day, except when closed. (Seems like a no brainer.) 
The local television shows that have shown up include:
  • ·         Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations. I think he’s actually been there twice on his show.
  • ·         Man V. Food.
  • ·         Amazing Race, season 13 included Voodoo Donuts in its season finale. (The best show on television I might add.)
  • ·         The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special.
  • ·         And more. I think.


Explains why the lines are long. Back “in the old days” I never missed a chance to buy a few Voodoo Donuts, these days I am lazy and have bypassed this opportunity due to the nature of the tourists in line. 


However, redemption.  A new location has opened in Eugene Oregon. Rarely there are lines at the Eugene store. And if so, they are no longer than 10 minutes. Same delicious donuts with crazy topping, same pink box, same craving. And a closer drive for this mid-valley Oregon girl.  

If you have never been, you need to go. It’s worth the wait and just buy one of everything.  Voodoo Donuts only takes cash and if you pick out the donuts you want expect to pay 18 bucks or so. The donut is worth every bite besides the bragging rights you’ve been to Voodoo. And oh, you don’t go for the atmosphere.  Inhale, take a deep breath (don’t breathe in) and indulge in a mouth watering treat. The magic is in the hole.

I just need them to make a beer/bacon donut.


Prost.






No comments:

Post a Comment