Monday, June 27, 2011

My favorite place

Block 15 Is drinking beer considered a place? Or is a state of being in a place?




I haven’t always been a beer drinker. And I had the good fortune to live in a nation that beer drinking is like no more thought about that breathing air since it could be considered the national drink of all ages. I know all about Berlin clear-colored white beer that you pour flavored syrup into, stir and drink but didn’t actually drink one while living in Berlin, Germany. Nope, I had to wait until I moved to the land of microbrews’; Oregon before I embarked on my beer adventure.

Oregon has more microbrews’ that even Germany or the nation with the highest percentage of beer drinkers which is the Czech Republic (where Budweiser hails from.)

Once Oregon seduced me with the freshness of the hops, the variety of flavors & types along with bitterness factors (IBU’s in case you are wondering) is when I was hooked, and begging for more. Forget these so-called wine tasting tours, give me a beer festival, and outdoor table mugs clanging while people prost (toast) each other.

It wasn’t the clear sunny skies, the happy people or the location of the waterfront in Portland Oregon that made me love beer; it was the people and what I consider beer diplomacy. I witnessed that day people laughing, sharing and buying each other beer. I actually saw young people giving up seats to women and elderly people. I watched a very drunk women stumbling about while yelling at her boyfriend all the while he held her up and carried her bright pink purse. I witness kindness in all forms and I knew then, I wanted to be a part of that world; a world in which all people are happy and beer brings all types together.

To my sip, gulp and another dunkle (German dark beer with a smooth malty character) beer I say PROST.

Indeed, it is my most favorite place.

1 comment: