Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sunday Beer Run

“Hold the GPS on the phone and tell me when to turn,” I instruct my husband.
“But I don’t know where we are going,” he says to me a bit confused.
“Neither do I, that’s why you have the GPS.”

And I understand his confusion as we are driving through farm land and not into the city. We pass through a couple of two-house farming towns with names like “Wells Landing” and “Wings of Wonder.”  We pass by a county park we didn’t know existed. It looks like a great spot to put in your raft in for floating the meandering waters of the Willamette River.

The road arc’s and we see the sign for Buena Vista Ferry.
“We are going to cross the ferry on our grand adventure?” My husband questions me like I’m insane. So much for the Sunday drive.

And then drive pass acre upon acre of hops growing high on trellises. (Forty two acres to be exact.) Signs indication what kind of hops are growing (look, Chatoe hops).   We continue to drive through the fields of hops and for me it’s a happy sight; it means beer.

We are in the hop capital of the world, Independence Oregon. Hops only grow on the 45th parallel, and are particular to the climate. Basically, hops grow well in Oregon and Germany.

Seemingly middle of nowhere is the Chatoe Rogue Tasting Room. A small 468 square foot quaint house that serves beer fresh from the tap. Several Rogue Ales to choose from to please all types of beer drinkers.  The tasting room has a huge lawn outback surrounded by picnic tables complete with a wide assortment of lawn games including lawn darts, horse shoes and a Frisbee or two to use. Hop fields & barley gardens surround the working farm and visitors can stroll around the gardens and visit the calm waters of the Willamette River complete with pet in tow. While we were there, a family had brought their cat much to the dogs delight. So much for playing in the water when a cat is nearby.

For others, they will want to stay the night in the Hops & Beer house on site.  It is a 100 year old house in which people can rent the entire 5 room house or just a room for the night.

I quickly order a Mocha Porter, rich in aroma and taste and a creamy smooth cheese-beer soup. My husband orders the beer for which Rogue is known for Dead-Guy ale and chips. The menu is limited however, what more would anyone want besides beer-cheese soup? Anyhow. Two steps later and we are on the back porch drinking our beer, watching the hops grown. Next time, I will visit with my neighbors and play some lawn darts while the sunset. For now, I am content to drink my beer with the warm sun on my face.

Perfect.

Prost

No comments:

Post a Comment