Saturday, September 29, 2012

I'm changing my name to Dunkle Weissbeir

I want to change my name to Dunkle Weissbeir. It German it would be: Dunkle Weißbier.  But heck, finding that funny B key on your keyboard (its a special character) is too much work so I’ll spell it the American way.

Dunkle Weissbeir means Dark Wheat Beer. And I’ve been known to drink a beer (or two) and I’m quite fond of the idea of having the word Beer in my last name. (My parents mis-named me.)

Dunkle means dark and could be applied to any dark beer.  Many Lagers are also called Dunkle as well as the more tradional, European Wheat & Mircobrew Wheat beers.  All lagers were Dunkle beers until the 1840’s (and all brewed in the Czech Republic by Pilsen.) Today, Dunkle implies a darker, roasted been with more malt.

Dark Wheat beer, my future name sake, is brewed not only with more malt but more yeast. Both of more means a unqiue blend of flavors that often include toffee, chocolate and coffee. Yes, even some have all three flavor profiles. And that is why I love Dunkle Weissbier.

My husband believes the word “Dunkle” or Dark will make a lot of people to stop and ponder or create a bit of confusion. So he suggest I change it to Helles Weißbier, or Helles Weissbeir.  Maybe because Hellas sounds a bit more girly, or maybe Hellas sounds like a rebel. Now, that I like. 

In case you are wondering, Helles means light and yes, a chocolate coffee wheat beer can also be white in appearance. Not often, but it can.


At this moment, I haven’t landed on a decision, Hellas or Dunkle Weissbier. I better pour another and do more taste research.



What do you think??



Prost!









No comments:

Post a Comment